- "You will never be alone again. I vow wherever you go, I go. You ride, I ride. You fight, I fight. And if you ever die on me, Dominic Toretto, I'm gonna die with you."
- ―Letty Ortiz
Leticia "Letty" Ortiz is the wife of Dominic Toretto, sister in-law to Mia Toretto, and the stepmother of Brian Marcos. A protagonist in The Fast and the Furious franchise, Letty Ortiz is the childhood sweetheart of Dominic Toretto, turned street racer, mechanic and thief. When she volunteered to go undercover to expose Arturo Braga for the FBI, she was nearly killed and suffered from temporary amnesia as a result. She was later reunited with her family when Luke Hobbs of the Diplomatic Security Service recruited the likes of Dominic Toretto and his crew to stop Owen Shaw.
Letty was presumably born and raised in the same neighborhood as the Toretto family, taking an interest in cars when she was ten years old. Dominic, a fellow car enthusiastic like his father, "always had her attention". When she became sixteen, Dominic took romantically interested in her. She lived down the street from them.[note 3]
Letty became involved in street racing in her teens. When she was fifteen years old, she participated in a street race against Dominic which resulted in both of their cars crashing. She managed to pull Dominic from the wreck of his car, almost losing her arm in the process.
When Letty was a teenager, she and Mia were caught up in an escape attempt somewhere in Boyle Heights. When they got trapped in a corner, Letty drove her car, a Ford Torino Cobra, through a retaining wall.[note 4]
The Fast and the Furious
Letty is introduced as Dom's girlfriend and they have been friends since childhood. Although, Letty expresses some concern about Dominic's carjacking scheme she participates in every robbery. She is seen at Race Wars where she races and beats a fellow racer. In the end, during a botched highway robbery, she rolls her car and is injured but is saved by Leon and survives.
Fast & Furious
Letty, Dominic and his new crew hijack a truck in the Dominican Republic narrowly escaping. After Dom leaves her she goes to FBI agent Brian O-Connor to clear Dom's name in order for him to return home. Brian consequently puts Letty undercover with Arturo Braga as a driver running drugs over the US-Mexico border. However, after the job is complete she realizes that the leader of the team, Fenix Calderon, intends to murder the drivers: she escapes in her car.
However, she is chased by Calderon who manages to flip her car leaving her injured in the wreckage. As Calderon approaches intending to shoot her, he instead shoots and blows up the car after Letty crawled out of it. The explosion throws her into the underbrush, and Calderon leaves her for dead. Brian was left to assume that she had died as did Dominic and Mia.
However, Letty is not killed by the explosion. Gisele Yashar, an employee of Braga, brings the wounded and amnesiac Letty to the hospital. She was found two days later in the hospital, by Owen Shaw who had went there to kill her. However when he determined that she had no memory of her previous life, he decided she would be a good member on his team.
When Dominic discovers Vince has associated himself with Hernan Reyes after attempting to steal the device in the GT40. Dominic accuses Vince of betrayal, but Vince defends his character, and makes a point to say that Dominic's failure to listen to him about Brian O'Conner resulted in the loss of their home, family and the death of Letty.
She was also mentioned by Dominic and Elena when they talk about their deceased loved ones.
Luke Hobbs is sitting at his desk at the DSS offices when U.S. Customs agent, Monica Fuentes, presents him with a file on a heist committed in Berlin. Attached to the file is a photograph of Letty[note 5] suggesting that not only is she alive but she is involved in large-scale criminal activity.
Fast & Furious 6
Hobbs approaches Dominic with the news that Letty is alive and asks him for his and his team's help in bringing down the international criminal Letty is working for: Owen Shaw. Dom agrees, only after Brian secures them full pardons for their assistance, though Dom had little interest in Shaw, which is shown during a chase scene in which he allows Shaw to escape in order to chase down Letty. After finally chasing her down Dom gets out of his car to speak to Letty. However, Letty shoots Dom before getting back in her car and taking off appearing to not recognize who he is.
When she arrives back to Shaw's lair, he questions her to see if she remembers Dom at all, to which she says she doesn't. Later, she meets up with Dom's team again, when going to investigate a phone call made by the man who made special vehicles for them. A shoot out ensues, in which her team mate, Ivory, is killed by Gisele. Letty tries to escape through the subways, but is followed by Riley. The two fight each other, and Letty tackles Riley down the stairs, and finally escapes on a subway train. She heads back to Shaw, and tells him that Ivory was killed, but his lack of caring frustrates her. Shaw then comes to her and tells her that he has a soft spot for her because she is a blank page who remembers nothing.
Letty tells him she needs some air and goes out. She is found by Dom at a race. The two race, and Letty, intrigued by Dominic, tells him to follow her. They meet up, and Dom tells her that he knows "everything" about her. He begins explaining the scars she has on her and how she got them. He also gives her the famous cross necklace. She grows emotional and leaves.
Later, Shaw asks her if she could kill Dom when the time comes, and she insist she can and even tells Shaw to keep the necklace. They continue with their plan, and attempt to hit up a convoy holding a chip that is worth billions. They steal a tank, and Shaw begins to run over innocent drivers. Letty is outraged at this and tells him that it was not part of the plan. Brian and Roman secure a car to the tank and use it as an anchor, hitting the car repeatedly to knock it off the bridge.
Shaw, angry, tells Letty to get on top of the tank and remove the cable before the car anchors them. She obeys, and is seen by Dominic who begins to drive faster, knowing that Letty will be killed once the car flips off the bridge. This is also known by Shaw who was using Letty to get to Dom. When the car flips and hits the bridge support, the tank flips and sends Letty soaring through the air. Dom speeds up and crashes his car into the railing of the bridge and catches Letty midair, they both crash into a car windshield, Dom looking at Letty, relieved she is uninjured.
Shaw is captured, and they all go back to the military base. When the guy in charge attempts to arrest Letty too for working with Shaw, Dom steps forward and says, "she's always been one of us". Brian then goes up to her to apologize, feeling that everything is his fault, to which she tells him that no one makes her do something she doesn't want to do.
She then goes to speak to Dom, and asks how he knew the car would break their fall to which he replies, "I didn't." They are interrupted after Hobbs brings Shaw in, who confesses to kidnapping Mia and demands to be released. Hobbs tells Dom that if they do that, they lose their full pardons, to which Dom agrees and Hobbs releases Shaw. He looks back and asks if "Babe" is coming, everyone looks at Letty for an answer, but is shocked when Riley steps forward saying, "Of course".
The team then prepares to save Mia, and Letty tells them that she is going with them. They all ride out, and Brian, Dom and Letty all get on the plane that Shaw is attempting to escape in. Letty then has another physical altercation with Riley, she is on the losing end until Hobbs tosses her a weapon, which she then uses to kill Riley and shoot her out of the plane. She and Hobbs escape, but Dom stays behind to secure the chip.
The plane eventually crashes, however they see Dom drive out of the plane. The team is relieved until the car flips. Letty searches the horizon for any sign of Dom and smile when she sees him walking out of the wreckage. She walks up to him and the two embrace. Holding hands, they walk back to Hobbs who asks what he would like as payment for getting the chip. Dom responds with, "1327", which is revealed to be his old address in the next scene.
The team is getting a BBQ together, and Hobbs arrives with Elena stating that they all are free. Letty thanks Elena for everything, saying she is an amazing woman. Elena tells Letty that Dom is an amazing man, and tells Letty to keep him out of trouble to which Letty laughs and tells her that that will never happen. Dom approaches Letty after they leave and asks if anything feels familiar. Letty tells him, no but that it feels like home. The two are last seen with Letty sitting on his lap as Roman says grace at the lunch table.
Letty and Dom head to race wars in hope of getting her memory back. However, after a race, Letty leaves race wars as she heads to her assume dead grave. When Dom arrive at the cemetery and decided to destroy the grave, Letty stop him as she believe it was the truth and symbol of the day she lost her memory. Letty decided to leave Dom temporarily to sort through her amnesia and find out who she is on her own. Letty's answer led her to the hospital where she was taken after she got away from Braga. Finding out about Han's death in the hands of Deckard Shaw and went to Dom's house, Letty rejoins Dom team to stop the elder Shaw. Letty helps save a British computer hacker name Ramsey. During their time in Abu Dhabi, Letty ends up getting her memory back after hitting her head in a fight with Kara, including that she and Dom were married some point before Fast & Furious. After stopping Deckard Shaw, Letty was last seen with her husband and friends on the beach, commenting on how different things will be now that Brian O'Conner is retiring
The Fate of the Furious
- "Nobody makes me do anything I don't want to."
- ―Letty Ortiz to Brian O'Conner
- Expert Driver: Like her husband Dominic, Letty is an extremely skilled race car driver. She was able to outrace a contestant at a race with relative ease and was recruited to be a part of Braga's drug cartel, which required driving prowess to cross the border at high speed. She was even a match for Dominic, narrowly losing to him in their one on one race in London, despite having held the lead for the majority of the race.
- Expert Combatant: Letty is also a capable fighter. She easily punched a security guard to the floor when they tried to stop Dominic from attacking Tran and also overwlemed several security guards at a party. She also held her own against trained fighter Kara; they were so evenly matched that their fight ended in a draw when they crashed over a balcony and smashed through a table, both too dazed to keep fighting. She did struggle against Riley during their fight in the subway, Letty being overwelmed, barely preventing the women from handcuffing her to a pole and narrowly escaped an arm lock imposed on her. She did manage to tackle her down a flight of steps though, recovering fast enough to escape as Riley was disorientated.
- PSM: Letty's sidearm is a pistol loaded with 5.45x18mm full metal jacket spitzer bullets. She used it to shoot Dominic Toretto in his shoulder when she was working with Owen Shaw and his team.
- Makarov PM: Letty used this pistol to fire at Riley Hicks, but she ran out of ammunition.
- Glock 26: Letty armed herself with this pistol when she joined Dom's crew to fight Shaw and his team on his aircraft. She struggled to use it against Hicks, and she disarmed her of it.
- Ruger LC9s: Letty's new sidearm is a two-tone pistol. She attempted to use it on Connor Rhodes, but she was disarmed and held at gunpoint by the latter. She also resorted to the pistol when her rifle ran out of ammunition, but was intercepted so she attacked the separatists with loose glass.
- TTI BCM TR-1 SBR: Letty brought this 7-inch rifle for the raid on the Russian naval base. The weapon is customized with a Magpul PMAG D-60 drum magazine, Larue Tactical 4XDOS mount, Trijicon VCOG, Offset RMR, Surefire X300 weaponlight and a Magpul sling. When she ran out of ammunition from firing at the separatists, she began to use it as a melee weapon until she resorted to her sidearm.
- Plumett AL-52 Air Launcher: Luke Hobbs gave Letty Tej Parker's harpoon gun, and she used it to kill Hicks by shooting her with it, causing her to fall out of the aircraft.
- Michelle Rodriguez did not know Letty was actually alive until the end of Fast Five when she saw the movie in theaters.
- ↑ According to Letty's headstone in Furious 7
- ↑ When Letty was officially declared dead by the FBI in 2009
- ↑ Mia: Letty grew up just down the street. She was into cars since she was like ten years old. Dom always had her attention. Then she turned sixteen...
Brian: And she had Dom's attention.
Mia: Yeah, it's funny how that works out.
- ↑ Dominic: "...And here... Boyle Heights. You were fleeing with my little sister Mia and got trapped in a corner. And you thought it was a good idea to ride your Torino Cobra through a retaining wall."
- ↑ The photograph used in the reveal scene of Fast Five is the same photograph used to identify Letty as an FBI informant in Fast & Furious